Statues, sculptures, and memorial statues

Sculptures  
Joutsentukat (free translation The Swanhaired People)
A bronze sculpture by Taru Mäntynen won the competition in honor of the 350th anniversary of Leppävirta in 1989. Four bronze figures on a black granite base depict different time periods and an empty spot is saved for the future.

A primitive human from the stone age, on a stone base depicts hunting
and gathering

This figure on a bronze base depicts agriculture and fertility

This statue, depicting the industrial revolution has a steel base

Modernity; the statue reaches many directions without no clear destination, the base is concrete

 

A sculpture made in 1987 by Veikko Haukkavaara, "Kaakanat" is located in front of the Leppävirta Health center.
The name refers to a folk story where a person forbids his guest to shoot a bird, because it resides "kaakana" = too far away. (The word also sounds like a Finnish bird)

The statue of folk poet Olli Kymäläinen
Recorded poems by Olli Kymäläinen are on display in the
library of Leppävirta. The statue was made by sculptor Veikko
Nuutinen in 1969, based on a plaster sculpture made by
C.E. Sjöstrand in 1894.

An ore stone from the Kotalahti mine in Oravikoski, was brought to the Vesileppis grounds in 1977.

A mine sculpture in Oravikoski

 

 

 

Memorials

The statue of Ori Eino, a famous Finnhorse from Leppävirta
The statue was designed by artist Herman Joutsen and it was
donated by the Friends of Horses organization of Leppävirta in
1990.
A sculpture made by Pekka Paikkari, located in the roundabout at Kalmalahti. A joint project by Hackman, the parsih and local Transports and Communications precinct in 1997.
 
The first graveyard of Leppävirta was established here
after the municipality of Leppävirta was founded in 1639.
- The statue for heroes, by Heikki Konttinen. 1966
The memorial of “The Freedom War”, erected by the White
Guard of Leppävirta in 1921.
A memorial designed by Pentti Kervinen in 1971 for those who
died because of their beliefs in 1918.
Memorial for the people who remained in Karelia
Designed by architect Juhani Nylund in 1965.
A memorial for the shipwreck of the Steamboat Louhi.
It was
designed by Tauno Gröndahl in 1964 and erected in 1968. The
shipwreck took place on 15th of May 1934 on Lake Suvasvesi.
30 people drowned, of which 22 were from Leppävirta.
The memorial for the battle of Kalmalahti (11.3.1808)
The battle of Kalmalahti was the first confrontation of the Finnish War on the Savo battlefront. The memorial, designed by
architect J. Nykänen, was erected by the White Guard of Leppävirta in 1933. The memorial was assembled by Otto Thure
and Hannes Pursiainen on the foundations of a basement.
The memorial for Johan David Alopaeus (1711-1767)
Alopaeus was a collector of folk poetry and worked as the vicar
of Leppävirta in 1744-67. The school and granary of Leppävirta
were built during his time as the vicar. The plaque is attached
to a stone brought from the Konnus canal area on the anniversary of Kalevala in 1985.
Memorial for Tilda Löhtman-Koponen (1874-1962)
She was an educator of the youth, a longtime teacher and lea
-
der of the folk high school of Pohjois-Savo and the first Member
of Parliament from Leppävirta. She received the title of financial
councillor in 1947. The plaque is attached into a stone brought
from the Pohjois-Savo Opisto on the 350th anniversary of the
municipality of Leppävirta in 1989. The text in the plaque is the
third verse from a poem by Unto Kupiainen dedicated to Tilda
Löhtman-Koponen.
Memorial plates      
The memorial plate of Secretary of State Pentti Pekkarinen, located on the wall of the city hall. The memorial plate of parliament member Otto Johannes Lundson, located on the wall of the city hall. The memorial plate of people who fought in the Winter War and the Continuation War, located next to the Leppävirat market place and made out of copper.

The memorial plate for the Finnish White Guard, Lotta Svärd, Sotilaspojat and Pikkulotat organizations. This plate is located on the wall of the canteen of Kivelä school as the building originally functioned as the house for the White Guard.

 

The memorial plate for the Mannerheim Cross knight number 36, Aarre Alfred Voutilainen. The plate was revealed 6.12.2005., is designed by Pentti Laukkanen and was manufactured in Lapinlahti Taidevalimo. This plate is located on the wall of the canteen of Kivelä school as the building originally functioned as the house for the White Guard.

 

Photos by Kari Viinikainen

Jaa sosiaaliseen mediaan:

Kategoria: 
Contact us